Southwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center began serving the Southwest Mississippi area in 1969; since that time growth has occurred both in the size of the facility and the services provided to patients.
Currently, SMRMC is the health care center for seven Mississippi counties and two Louisiana parishes. One of the newest expansions into health care is the establishment of Family Practice Clinics staffed by nurse practitioners. The Family Practice Clinics are intended to increase the availability and accessibility of primary health care in needed areas, thus meeting the needs of the community.
What is a Nurse Practitioner?
Each clinic staffs a Family Nurse Practitioners, who in collaboration with a physician, will meet the primary health care needs of all ages in the community. Through the addition of Family Practice Clinics, SMRMC continues to strive to improve the lives of individuals, families, and the community.
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse (RN) with advanced education and clinical training. Nurse practitioners provide health care to families with children and adult members. Nurse practitioners have a unique approach to health care which combines their advanced knowledge and skills with their proven caring, compassion, and communication to build trust and patient satisfaction.
Many Nurse Practitioners are also actively involved in education, research, and legislative activities to promote quality health care for people in all 50 states.
Please call us if you need a speaker for your church, club or group. We want to share good health with you and your family.
What Services do Nurse Practitioners Provide?
Nurse Practitioners serve as the regular health care provider for all ages during health and illness. In order to provide comprehensive health care, they can:
- Obtain medical histories and perform complete physical examinations.
- Diagnose and treat common health problems such as infections and minor injuries.
- Diagnose, treat, and monitor chronic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Order and interpret diagnostic studies such as lab work.
- Prescribe medications and other treatments.
- Provide family planning services.
- Provide well-child care, including immunizations.
- Provide health maintenance care for adults, including annual physicals.
- Promote positive health behaviors and self-care skills through education and counseling.
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals as needed